• January 15Welcome to the Hodag Headlines! Follow our site for up to date news, weather and sports from RHS.

Adventure is Not Far Away

Back to Article
Back to Article

Adventure is Not Far Away

Photo of the Apostle Islands from pinterest.com.

Eric Tracy, Student Journalist

Summer vacation is a great time to travel and see the world, but many people don’t realize that Wisconsin has its own wonders hidden throughout the state.

Lake Superior is the second largest freshwater lake in the world according to the volume of water in it, but according to the surface area, it is the largest. Along with all of that, it has many great features scattered throughout it.

The Apostle Islands are a group of 22 islands that dot the coast of the Bayfield Peninsula. The islands are a majestic sight to see, from the elegant ice caves in the winter to the beautiful wildlife in the summer.

There are plenty of activities that are available while visiting. There is a tour boat that travels around the islands, and shows viewers one of the best collections of lighthouses there is. Scuba diving is another common activity to do as the lake is very clear. The average visibility is roughly 27 feet.

To add to the excitement, there are numerous shipwrecks in the area that can people can scavenge through. If that’s too adventurous though, a soothing kayak ride from island to island is always a relaxing trip.

Farther down the shore of Lake Superior there is a small campground in Saxon Harbor. There are several things at this campground that aren’t at just any normal one. First off, there is a large harbor that has a pier to go pier jumping off of. There are also huge cliffs of clay to go play and have fun in. To top it all off there is a network of ATV trails to go riding on.

There are other places to go that are closer to home though. One such place is about an hour away from Rhinelander, the Eau Claire Dells. It is on County Road Y south of Antigo. There are beautiful picnic areas to lounge in or there is a series of rapids and small waterfalls.

There is a network of hiking and biking trails all around it, but that is not the main activity to do. Everyone wants to go there to go cliff jumping. It is a dangerous activity, but if safety measures are taken it can be very fun.

This summer take a step back and look around Wisconsin for the hidden treasure spots. It doesn’t take thousands of dollars to go on an adventurous vacation. Take a road trip around the state and see what other amazing spots nobody knows about.