• January 15Welcome to the Hodag Headlines! Follow our site for up to date news, weather and sports from RHS.

The Future Of Competitive Gaming

Justin Campbell and Braeden Bell

With all of the new up and coming sports one of the more recognized sports are E-Sports. The sport revolves around gaming either online or on a LAN connection. A LAN connection consists of several devices playing together on the same internet connection, this ensures for the best possible connection with each of the players. These sports consist of several tournaments every year; however, there is a lot of smaller online game battles that go one for small cash prizes but they can also get a team’s name out there so they can possibly qualify to play in the pro leagues.

Being that eSports has seen a significant rise in viewers and interest since early 2013, the idea of high schools having eSport teams in the near future is not unlikely, some schools have already been experimenting with the idea. A high school by the name of Garnes Vidaregaande Skole in Norwegian has already added games such as: Dota 2, League of Legends and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive to their core curriculum. Many students believe that more high schools should have E-sport teams.

“Well, I would be on one if we had one. But like I said it’s still a growing thing, so we probably won’t see them for some time.” Said Jarod Hoha, a student at Rhinelander high school. On average 91% of students are coming home and playing some sort of video game. About half of those students playing games are involved in some sort of sport or extracurricular activity. Some of the games students are playing competitively are Rainbow Six Siege, Call of Duty Black ops 3, Arma 3, Counter Strike, League of Legends, and Battlefield 4. this is just a small list compared to the many that are played at a competitive level.

Turner Broadcasting and WME/IMG are preparing to air twenty live events on TBS over the course of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive first season. Discussions between WME/IMG and Turner on the concept started about a year ago, Lenny Daniels: President of Turner Sports said, Stated an article on Variety.com. the article further explains that contestants will be competing for “meaningful money prizes.” Some of the money prizes teams and competitors can be playing for can but upwards of one million dollars. However when ESPN2   televised Heroes of the Dorm viewers back lashed on twitter stating the event was not worthy to be televised on the worldwide leader in sports channel.

In 2015, eSports is no longer considered an internet trend that is reported upon from gaming commentators that get paid to play and report upon video games. Competitive gaming is a lucrative enterprise with many big investments from advertisers and corporations. With 2015 yet another banner year for eSports, 2016 is shaping up to be even bigger. Expect more competitive gaming to be  presented to a larger audience and perhaps be a regular sport on tv nation wide.