• March 26Welcome to the Hodag Headlines! Follow our site for up to date news, weather and sports from RHS.

Changes to Gown Colors Frustrate Students

RHS students at their graduation ceremony 
where girls are wearing white gowns and boys 
are wearing green gowns.

RHS students at their graduation ceremony where girls are wearing white gowns and boys are wearing green gowns.

Calvin Schneider, Student Journalist

Rhinelander high school informed their students that the school council has decided that the colors of the graduation gowns for this year will be green for boys and girls instead of boys having green and girls being in white gowns.

Student council never gave a reason or told the students on why they decided to change that. While some of the students don’t really care what color their gown is for graduation, most think that it was a dumb change and should change back. Students are frustrated about this is because most students like having separate colored gowns for girls and boys and think it’s kind of boring having everyone in the same colored gown.

For the past 5 to 6 years Rhinelander High School has had boys wear green gowns and girls wear white gowns but the school changed that and students are a little frustrated.  “Most of the girls I talk to during school are always talking about how they don’t like the change and are upset that they did because they can’t wear white at their graduation,” said Natasha Wacker, a Senior at Rhinelander High School. Wacker also said that “it’s mainly girls who are complaining about having to wear green instead of white and the guys just think it’s kinda dumb.”

Many students are not really sure why the school decided to change the graduation gowns and they also don’t know if it’s a positive or negative thing that they decided to. Some students think that the school decided to do that to mess with their students and make them mad and upset. While others think that the school is just trying to show unity, that everyone is equal no matter if you’re a boy or girl. Others are just misunderstanding it and thinking they’re getting their freedom taken away.

Another reason students are frustrated is that they think the school is ruining the tradition of having two different colors for boys and girls. “Other schools around here like Northland Pines, Lakeland, and Tomahawk have only one solid color for their gowns for all students so it is kind of like tradition and interesting that this school did it like this,” said Mr. Prazuch, a teacher at Rhinelander High School. Some of the students have had parents and/or siblings that have graduated with green and white gowns and would like to have the same as them. About every 5 to 7 years Rhinelander High School changes the colors of the graduation gowns. Many of the students family members have had green gowns and think the idea of having green and white gowns would be much cooler than one solidified color.