• March 26Welcome to the Hodag Headlines! Follow our site for up to date news, weather and sports from RHS.

RHS Tech Ed Opportunities You Should Know About

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rhinelander High School Residential Construction class led by Ryan Paszek works on building a home for Habitat for Humanity.Come summer the home will be finished, and a member in the community will move in.

Bryce Schickert

Bryce Schickert

Bryce Schickert

Bryce Schickert

Have you ever thought of building a house, or making a 3D object you created? Well look no further, because the opportunities for doing so is all in your hands at Rhinelander High School. Take advantage of these classes, and jump right in.

The Tech Ed department is made up of Adam Schmidt, Ryan Paszek, and Mike Wojtusik. The department offers many classes from electronics to building trades. There are multiple opportunities that come along with the classes such as learning how things work to possible job opportunities.

Nathan Lawrence a student at Rhinelander High School, who is in the Trades program and has taken many tech ed classes.“I was intrigued by the idea of building.” Lawrence said.Also, Lawrence thought that every kid should try to take consumer autos or engineering materials, because they can help you learn the basics. “They are enjoyable and can teach you really important life skills, you have to meet deadlines and you need to be able to communicate with other workers and contractors in order to get the job done,”Lawrence added.

One thing that is being repeated is that 2-4 year colleges is being pushed down young students’ throats. Along with schools cutting out elective classes, kids are unable to try something new. Also, getting skilled in a trade can be much cheaper and shorter than a 2-4 year degree. Those who are skilled in a trade generally make about $60,000-$89,000 a year.

Rhinelander High School Residential Construction teacher Ryan Paszek talked about the importance of Building trades, and also how important the trades are. Pazek said “There is a major need in the trades right now. Not just building, but all the fields in the process of building a home from an electrician to an insulation installer. If you take the Trades Program you work alongside them contractors and see if you are interested in the field that the contractor is there for.” Some advantages of the Residential Construction program were,“You work beside local contractors and are able to interact with the contractors and show them your work ethic and possibly ask them about possible apprenticeships with their businesses.” said Paszek. He made it apparent that if you are willing to work hard employers will hire you.

Paszek said, “I worked construction for years where we built million dollar homes.”Paszek quit building for a contractor and came to Rhinelander High School. He said, “I wanted to share my knowledge in building and autos with students so they could learn valuable things in the building and auto mechanic fields.You can learn so much, which you can later use in life or even use every day depending on what occupation you are in life.”

Another teacher in the shop wing is Mike Wojtusik. He is in charge of the Fab lab and also teaches woods, electronics,and many more classes. Wojtusik wants kids to take his class and see what cool things our school provides for students. Wojtusik said, “You can learn so much and build many cool and unique things. It’s also one of the only places in the school where you can make state of the art products.” Some things like make are a phone stand, sticker, t-shirt, laser engraved materials of all kinds, and 3D print just about anything, many jobs are in process and 3D printers are being used. Also, the mill machines can be used in the many fields.” You can even make things for interests or hobbies that might have. One of his favorite projects is when you make something for someone else.

The Fab Lab is open to the community after school some nights. Also, students that are not in the class can talk to Wojtusik, and he can help students make something before or after school.There are many classes in the shop wing and all of them make for great opportunities. Wojtusik said, ”All of the classes have importance and kids should find interest in many of them.”

Now that you all are aware of the possible classes you can take you can decide if you want to take them or not. There is no right or wrong to picking tech ed classes over other electives or core classes. All the opportunities are available and the choice is in the students hands to take advantage of them.