• March 26Welcome to the Hodag Headlines! Follow our site for up to date news, weather and sports from RHS.

After the Last Bow

Behind the Scenes of the Drama Department

Back to Article
Back to Article

After the Last Bow

A behind the stage view during the opening night performance of “The Secret Garden” on Thursday, February 28, 2019. The play was performed by the RHS drama department in the high school auditorium.

Lisa White

Lisa White

Lisa White

Lisa White

As the RHS Drama Department takes its final curtain call for this year’s spring play “The Secret Garden,” directors Kristin Higgins and Roddy MacMillan along with some senior club members talk about what goes on behind the closed curtains.

The drama department has been around for decades and has performed over one hundred performances, but for the newest drama director, Kristin Higgins, the club is not all that old. “This is my twelfth year and Roddy’s sixth,” Higgins told Hodag Headlines reporter Lisa White.

Each drama production begins with the directors. Their methods of choosing the plays, however, vary for each one. “I went to see [The Secret Garden] back home while I was away and felt that this was a play we could really manage to do ourselves. We’re the third company to get permission to use it, which is cool,” MacMillan said.

After the play is chosen, rehearsed, mastered, and performed, all that is left in the minds of the audiences are the actors on stage. However, there is so much more that goes on backstage. RHS senior and drama club member Adam Bloom said, “There’s a lot of encouragement that goes on behind the stage. I’d say the main thing that happens behind stage that they don’t see is a bonding between a cast. These people have been making friends that can last a lifetime. It’s something where it’s more of a group than just a person doing something, and that’s something that I really like, something that I think more people need to know.”

When the audience took their seats as the lights began to dim, they were only seeing two hours of what was a months-long process. “We are working when we’re in this theater and when we are not in this theater,” said Higgins. She and MacMillan usually work about 200 hours each, which adds up to 400 hours in total.

Due to the multiple snowstorms this winter, those 400 hours were cut short. “We’ve missed 6 rehearsals, so 18 hours of rehearsal,” said Higgins. All of that time adds up to about one-fifth of the club’s rehearsals.

Despite some weather worries, the graduating senior actors were still able to end their last performances with a hit show. “It’s a feel-good show,” said RHS senior and drama club member Adam Bloom, “It’s not something where you are going to be hanging on the edge of your seat, you’re not gonna be busting a gut. You’re gonna be watching a good show, and it’s just nice to do something different.”

Both Adam Bloom and fellow senior and drama club member Samantha Siefert have been performing since their freshman year. “I’m gonna miss acting along[side] some of my best friends that I’ve met throughout high school. Acting is something I can always do, I can always find places to act, but the people are what changes,” said Siefert, “I’ll just miss all of them.”

Siefert has been acting for four years and plans to continue acting at Michigan Technological University where she will be attending this upcoming fall. She was cast as the lead, Mary Lennox, in her final performance, which she described as being “really fun, just getting to act with some of my best friends.”

Bloom will be attending UW Stevens Point for musical theater, which he credits to his four years and 11 shows with drama. “It’s something that I think everyone can have an appreciation for because it’s something that allows you to experiment. It’s something where you can change and be someone else for a little bit. You can experiment. You can work with another set of skills than your own for a little while, and that’s something that’s really and truly interesting,” said Bloom.

The traditions inside the club are one of the many factors that help define it. Both the directors and cast members have traditions including purchasing matching t-shirts, an energy building activity called shakedown before performances and placing a photo of Higgins’ father in each set on stage. “I asked my dad to be my co-director and then he died during my first play, and so then I started putting his picture in every play,” said Higgins.

The fun traditions are not what makes the club so supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. “My favorite part of being a part of Drama would be the people. We call ourselves the drama family for a reason, not just because we go and we hang out for 3 hours or so after school to learn some lines. We have a connection, we talk, we go and hang out after practice, and we enjoy each other’s company. I don’t just do Drama for acting, I love the group,” Bloom said. He also said that the main factor about Drama that he will miss is the people because anyone can find acting wherever they go, but “these people” can only be found in the RHS drama club.

With the hours and hours that must be put into the club as an actor, many might be skeptical about joining. However, there is a myriad of different positions in the club besides acting. There’s tech crew, light board, makeup artists, wardrobe helpers, lines coaches, dance coaches, and so much more. “There’s a lot it has to offer,” said Bloom.

As far as the actual acting goes, there are many challenges and excitements of being under the spotlight. “I always get nervous right before every performance, but once I get into it, I forget people are watching me and I just love it,” said Siefert. She also said that although balancing her senior year with the hours put into the play as the lead role was a challenge, it was quite worth it in the end.

For the directors, who do not feel the satisfaction of performing for the live audiences, viewing the big picture at the end is what makes it all worth it to them. Higgins said, “I love seeing from auditions to performance. I love handing it over on the first night of performances and saying ‘we’re done, it’s your show now.’ I like starting with a script and then ending with an amazing show.”

One chapter closes, the next opens.  As “The Secret Garden” ends and the seniors retire their days with the drama club, the rest of the department looks onto the horizon, awaiting the next grand show they will perform in the fall of 2019.