• January 15Welcome to the Hodag Headlines! Follow our site for up to date news, weather and sports from RHS.

Injuries Take Toll on RHS Winter Sports

Madi Losch and Brooke Beaucaine, Student Journalists

As the Rhinelander High School (RHS) winter sports season kicks off, injuries are rolling in, threatening the potential outcome of the overall season.

Boys basketball started the season on Monday, November 12, excited, determined and hungry to continue on their streak as conference champions.  Their home opener against Stevens Point Area Senior High, did not go so well as Senior Captain, Junior Howard, was on the bench with an ankle injury.

“As a senior, I wanted to step up and lead the team to yet another conference championship,” said Howard about the impact of his injury on the team, “Personally speaking I’m worried this might affect my college offers because of the  lack of scouting opportunities.”  

Returning to the court under restricted minutes on Tuesday, December 4, Howard hoped to lead his team in the important conference game against Lakeland Union High School on Friday, December 9. Boys basketball will be back at full-strength within the next two weeks and is ready to prepare for the all-important playoff season in a few months.

Girls gymnastics lost a few all-conference competitors last year in the 2017-2018 season with the graduation of  Seniors Stephanie and Makayla Kuester, but that won’t hold the team back from taking people back to the state meet.

This year’s season, which started on Monday, November 5, and saw prominent senior, Mikayla Evenstad’s season brought to a halt when she tore her ACL.  A disappointed Evenstad is out for the season, but remains positive and hopeful for a quick turnaround after surgery so she can step onto the softball field this coming spring.

Additionally, Freddy Wisner, Captain of the boys’ hockey team, returned to the the ice Tuesday, December 4, after spending the first month of the season leading the team from the bench due to an injury.  

“I only missed about three games,” said Wisner, “but I still got to practice, just with no contact.”

Though the team lacked a top score for the first few games, they still had a leader at practice to help them prepare for the season to come.  Wisner says he is hopeful for a successful and healthy remainder of the season.