• January 15Welcome to the Hodag Headlines! Follow our site for up to date news, weather and sports from RHS.

Are ATVs/UTVs coming to RHS?

Devin Fritz, Student Journalist

Rhinelander High School (RHS) could be seeing changes in its parking lot if the city decides to allow ATVs and UTVs on city roads.

City officials held a listening session at Rhinelander City Hall in November to answer questions and get public input on ATVs and UTVs being used on city streets.

This was the first step toward having ATVs and UTVs on city streets. If passed, the question would then become, does RHS have any plans to allow them at school and what could students expect to see? 

The district’s discussion on ATVs and UTVs would be based on what the city decides.

“The first step would be to see if it goes through the city or not and, then, if it does, I would think the school board would get together and make a policy on that,” said Mr. Dornfeld, principal.

If students were to be able to drive ATVs and UTVs to school, the first thing the district would look at is  how this would effect parking space.

“The last school district I was at was a little more out in the country then we are here and we had a snowmobile parking area. For the snowmobiles, we had them park in a grassy area alongside the parking lot so it wasn’t on the blacktop, so I would think there would be a designated parking area for them wherever that would be,” said Mr. Dornfeld.

If ATVs and UTVs were allowed to be driven to school the same rules would apply to them as any other vehicle. Any policy when abused can be taken away. It’s the school’s decision whether ATVs and UTVs are to be allowed and if they are to remain…if they are ever allowed.

“I could see that privilege being taken away and them not being allowed on school property even though they’re allowed on City streets,” said Mr. Dornfeld.