• January 15Welcome to the Hodag Headlines! Follow our site for up to date news, weather and sports from RHS.

Year Round Schooling

Back to Article
Back to Article

Year Round Schooling

Emily McFarland and Ashley Croner

When planning the school calendar, most schools are looking at the traditional school schedule with 180 school days. However some schools have switched to a new schedule, year round schooling.

In Tomah, the School District decided to change the schooling schedule for the following year. Brian Hennessey, the Superintendent of Tomah stated that the 45 day on, 15 day off school schedule has lots of benefits.

“Studies show it helps student retention, shorter summer breaks and more breaks throughout the year helps students retain information better,” said Hennessey.

Tomah currently has the 45/15 schedule set up only at one elementary school and have no plans on expanding the program soon.

Kelli Jacobi, the Superintendent for the School District of Rhinelander explains that the success  this school schedule depends on the district.

“We’re such a high value property district with not a lot of state funding coming in and so that would definitely be a negative shift (to year round schooling),” said Jacobi.

At the moment, the School District of Rhinelander doesn’t benefit from switching from the traditional school year to the extended year. However, it’s something the School Board continue to watch.

“We look at it all the time. It’s always one of those conversations, do we start having this conversation? But with our current issues, now just isn’t the right time for us,” said Jacobi.

Currently, the Rhinelander School District receives funding from the state for summer school, but if they were to switch to year round schooling, they would lose that funding.

“We have to get the state to update their funding formula so that we could look at the funding as year round, not losing a chunk of it because we don’t have a summer school program,” said Jacobi.

Despite the funding issues, Kelli Jacobi agrees that year round schooling would be beneficial to the students.

“I think it’s wonderful for the educational process, especially for younger kids because there’s so much learning lose that takes place over the summer,” said Jacobi. “When kids are really rolling along and being in school every day their learning is increasing daily and it builds off of what they’ve learned yesterday and it just keeps going, that momentum; and when you have the summer off, that momentum stops.”

Superintendent Kelli Jacobi isn’t the only one who agrees that year round schooling would be beneficial. Senior Brittany Bredeson believes that year round schooling could be very helpful.

“You lose a lot of things over the summer, and you especially notice that when you look at people who take the ACT as juniors and what they take it again after the summer and they do much worse than what the originally did, it shows you really do lose a lot of that stuff when you are not constantly surrounded by it,” said Brittany.

Patricia LaFevre, a spanish teacher at Rhinelander High School, believes there are positives and negatives to any change and if this school schedule is to be considered, it needs to researched extensively.

“I think in some ways it could be very helpful to students, because they wouldn’t have quite as long off where they lose skills in math and foreign language and such and with a big break it can be difficult to remember everything,” said LaFevre.

While there are many benefits to the year round school schedule, it also has its negatives.

Kelli Jacobi explains that besides managing the financial side of year round schooling, getting the community to agree that this type of schooling in the most beneficial to the youth in the community is one of the biggest downsides when it comes to switching from the traditional school year.

“The tourism industry is a very strong in our community. We would have many people in that industry that would not support this change because of all the lake activities that need high school workers, that would be a hardship for them. I’m sure they would be concerned with going to year round schooling,” said Jacobi.

Patricia LaFevre, agrees that the switch from the traditional school schedule to year round schooling depends on the area.

“I think there is pros and cons to anything and I think the advantages and disadvantages would need to be researched to our students. If it works in one place it doesn’t necessarily work in another. So we can’t approach everything as just because it works here, it has to work there as well,” says LaFevre.

As more schools within the state of Wisconsin begin to make the switch from the traditional 9 month school year to a year long schedule, Kelli Jacobi says that the school board will continue to watch and monitor these schools to see if this is a change Rhinelander School District should be looked at.