• January 15Welcome to the Hodag Headlines! Follow our site for up to date news, weather and sports from RHS.

New Year, New Beginnings

Megan Fernandez and Morgan Elko

The New Year is just around the corner, so while people are thinking of New Year’s resolutions, they should think about ways they could possibly improve their overall health.

Many people turn to diet and exercise programs, but most resolutions are not kept throughout the year and are given up.

When it comes to a person’s health, one way to have positive health habits would be based on a person’s diet.

The Department of Health and Human Services report that more than one third of adults in the United States fall under the category of obesity. A person’s poor health and obesity can lead to many serious conditions, ranging from heart disease to diabetes.  

Betsey Perkins, a teacher at Rhinelander High School, states how a person can keep up a balanced diet in their daily lives.

“You have to have everything in moderation, including moderation. So, every once in a while it’s okay to have that day where you eat the cake and the ice cream and all the candy, but then you have to remember that, that was your day, so to moderate, try to scale back from those things to balance with the healthy colors and good sources of nutrition.”

A person’s eating habits can play a big role in their health, whether good or bad.

“I advocate quite a bit that you menuplan. So even if you just block out a weekly meal plan. If you at least have it there, you’ll be more apt to grab it on your way out than stopping to get it handed to you through a window.” Perkins states.

When learning to eat healthier, a person doesn’t necessarily have to eat or cook a homemade meal every night to obtain a healthy diet.

“In a restaurant setting, you can look for things that are not deep fried, don’t have large amounts of butter, so you could choose stir-fry vegetables or grilled meats, grilled seafoods, possibly baked. Two textures to stay away from are crispy and creamy, because they are usually high in fat.” Perkins advises.

Perkins continues to teach high school students- freshmen through seniors- the art of nutrition and many easy, healthy meals a person can make from home.

Along with a balanced diet, fitness can be important to one’s well-being when getting in shape and increasing their overall health for the better.

Jacob Demeyer, a senior at Rhinelander High School, demonstrates what it means to become fit.

Demeyer enjoys working out because, “Everyday I get a little stronger and I just want to stay healthy.”

Demeyer does his best to workout every morning in the fitness center before school. “An average workout for me includes Squat 3×6, Bench 3×6, and a Deadlift 3×6. My main goal is to just keep adding weight.”

There are many ways for people to start working out even if they’re just beginning.

Demeyer suggests, “Try starting with a friend. Having someone there with you can give you the encouragement and even competition you may need.”

When working out, most people create goals to meet to keep consistency when trying to become fit. “Having a goal keeps you motivated and keeps you going,” Demeyer advises.

The ultimate piece of advice Demeyer can give is, “Start today because there will always be an excuse not to, the healthier you are the longer you live.”

New Year’s marks the start of a blank page, make this year a good one! Cheers to 2018.