• January 15Welcome to the Hodag Headlines! Follow our site for up to date news, weather and sports from RHS.

Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra has sold out crowd

Back to Article
Back to Article

Claudia Azabal-Martin, Student Journalist

The Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra performed perhaps their last concert for a sell out crowd at Rhinelander High School on Thursday, October 5. For years, the Northwoods Concert Association has funded their appearance in the community, but those funds have almost run out and the actual organisers have got tired.

Northwood Concert Association held last Thursday, October 5, as has been doing the past years thanks to people’s donations and some bequests, the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra Concert in the auditorium of the Rhinelander High School. This time in front of one of the largest crowds in the event’s history due to the free tickets selling as part of the  last concert ever.

“We wanted to have the last concert of the symphony a sold house, a full audience for the last time we did it. And we decided that the best way to do it was to give away the tickets free and it worked. We had a wonderful audience, it was full or practically full,” said Mr.Tom Winquist, the treasurer of the Northwoods Concert Organization.

This Organization has been holding cultural (especially classical music) events for the past almost 60 years in the Rhinelander area, giving to every single person and especially focussing on children the opportunity to assist a live classical concert.

“During the 60’s we started having series of concerts. We couldn’t always afford the symphony, it was always the most expensive thing we have (around $27000), we could afford the symphony maybe every three years, so we kind to save money to have some extra founding so we can afford it because we had to have also other events,” the treasurer said.

“We were able to show them something that they didn’t know was there because they didn’t want to try it out because it usually costs around 25 bucks,”  Winquist added.

The active members of the Organization wished this had not been the last symphonic concert and someone new with fresh ideas and eagerness takes their position and continues with this cultural and musical events as they definitely left their posts after more than 50 years.

“We’ve done it for fifty years and we have used the money that was left to us in trust for the symphony event and we are not going to do it any more; there’s a lot of work and it’s very expensive, the symphony costs 27000 dollars, and we just decided that this year was going to be our swan song. If somebody else want to do it, great! ,“ Winquist said.

“Lori Brown does the program, the symphony decides what are they going to play and they send program notes to be put in the program. I work on the tickets and the letters, and has been my job for practically the last 50 years to do the introduction, and it’s just because anyone want to do it. We have just become tired,” Winquist added.

Indeed the concert has been an absolute success for both new and every year spectators.

“It has always been excellent but I think this year seemed a little bit better but maybe it’s just because I knew this was the last year they were going to be playing in Rhinelander and I was enjoying them as I don’t know when will be the next time I will hear them,” Mrs Sandy McKitrick, a regular annual spectator,said.

This event was also the perfect time for the NCEP (New Cultural Experience Program) members from Rhinelander HIgh School to raise money for their next trip.

We’re going to Scotland and Ireland next spring break. It’s a trip in which every single student enrolled in a History class in RHS can participate,”one of the members, Kourtney Carrico, said.

The participants were selling home-made desserts in the half time of the concert. The idea was a success.

“We raised a lot of money. Each person participating had like a share, if you were there you have like 2 shares so the money we raised was split up and went for our next trip,” Carrico explained.

The NCEP members are holding two other events soon.

“We’re doing the Culver’s night in November. We go to Culver’s, we help with serving food, open doors for people…and we get 10% of total sales. I think that’s the last big one…Oh, we also have another candy bar selling again in November,” Carrico added.

Last or not, the concert has been a success for both: the Northwoods Concert Association and the NCEP members.