• January 15Welcome to the Hodag Headlines! Follow our site for up to date news, weather and sports from RHS.

RHS drama department to perform “The Addams Family”: The Broadway musical

Belinda Weddle and Elizabeth Weddle

In the midst of long practice hours, the Rhinelander High School drama department is preparing for an upcoming musical, based on the well known Addams Family. The “Addams Family” musical will highlight the vocal and acting talents of Rhinelander High School drama students.

“I think it’s going to be really good. We’ve got a lot of incredibly talented singers and dancers and just actors all around. Our leads are really good this year,” said Lisa White, a Rhinelander High School drama student.

The musical follows the Addams Family as their daughter, Wednesday, falls in love with a boy, who is nothing like the Addams, and invites him over for dinner. The family, frightful of change, needs to face many challenges in one long, hilarious night.

“[People] should come see the musical because it’s really funny and it supports the drama department,” said Lauren Iverson, another high school drama student.

Although the department lost a few talented seniors last year, the students still believe the musical will be a success.

“I think it’s going to be hopefully better than last year, and seeing that last year’s was really good, I’m pretty confident,” stated White. “Every year we have our doubts, like right now it’s only a month away and we just finished going through the whole thing, like the first half of rehearsals, and we’re a little nervous, but every year it comes together no matter what, so I’m very confident that it will be a success.”

Aside from the actors and actresses, the drama director, Kristin Higgins, in her tenth year of directing at Rhinelander High School, expresses a similar excitement towards the upcoming play.

“I’m looking forward to people recognizing the title and being curious because the “Addams Family” wasn’t [originally] a musical. I’m looking forward to people being totally amazed with the choreography because it’s so great, the choreography is incredible,” said Higgins.

Higgins’ commitment to the drama department has brought the Rhinelander drama department much success, along with the long hours of practice put in by the students.

“We had auditions like the second week of school, and then we perform in November. We rehearse Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. We start out at 2 hours a night and then we go to 3 and then sometimes even 4 hours a night as we get closer,” continued Higgins.

Spending hours upon hours together, the drama students call themselves a family and have become a well functioning team, learning how to work together and build off of each other’s talents.

“I’ve learned that it is really important to work as a team…in drama it’s almost even more important [to work as a team] because if you fall apart then the whole entire production falls apart. So, I think a big deal is it doesn’t really matter who is the best or who does better at a dance or something, just the performance is what’s most important in the end,” stated White.

“We call it kind of a drama family because everyone gets along, three nights a week you’re getting together to dance and sing and just hang out with each other, plus we do outside activities outside of drama. We get together and have picnics and just hangout as a big group of friends, it’s really fun,” said White

The idea of being a family is a concept Higgins recognizes as something the majority of drama students take away from the drama experience. The feeling of handing over the musical/play to her hardworking team is something Higgins values and remembers.

“Well the one thing I know they do get is the feeling of family that we have, they know each other really well, they support each other, and also just the love of being on stage and being part of a family that way. I met my husband in a play, and so I always say, ‘you know you might find love!’” remarks Higgins.

“It’s so fun to sit back because by the time they perform my co-director and I get to sit back and enjoy it and the day that we have our first play performance we say to them, ‘We’re handing this over to you and it’s now your show,’ and that’s my very favorite part,” said Higgins.

The “Addams Family” will be performed Friday, November 16 through Sunday, November 19 in the Rhinelander High School auditorium.